Palestine and Middle East Quiz II - Answers
Some of these facts are surprising.
If you score 9 or 10 and did not guess at the answers, your knowledge of the Middle East is certainly exceptional. If you score 4-8 without guessing, your knowledge is average, and you have probably learned something taking the quiz.
If you scored less than 4, keep an open mind about the Middle East, Israel and Palestine. Not everything you read may be true.
1-a 2-d 3-e 4-c 5-c
6-b 7-d 8-a 9-b 10-e
Details and references:
1. A. Life expectancy in Gaza is longer than in Egypt, Syria, or Turkey: Over 73.4 years.
Life expectancy in Gaza according to CIA estimates was 73.42 in 2009. For Egypt, the corresponding estimate was 72.12 years; Turkey - 71.96 years; Syria: 71.19 years. By way of comparison, the CIA estimated life expectancy at 63.27 years in Yemen and 48.98 years in South Africa. Media and NGOs have touted a humanitarian crisis in Gaza, but not in these other countries.
2. D. Dalal Moughrabi was honored by Palestinian leaders because she led a terror attack, the coastal road massacre, in which 38 civilians including 13 children and an American tourist were massacred. The Palestinian Authority vowed to give up terror and incitement when it signed the Oslo Accords.
3. E. All of the above. The PLO has claimed it only wants to "liberate" the West Bank and Gaza of late, but it was was founded to "liberate" Israel when Israel fid not occupy the West Bank or Gaza, and was backed by Syria, Jordan and Egypt. In the 70s, the PLO tried in succession to unseat King Hussein in Jordan and the to take over Lebanon.
4, C. The PLO was founded in 1964 when Israel did not occupy any territory in the West Bank.
5. C. Islamic Sha'aria law will be a major basis of legislation in Palestine; Islam is declared to be the official religion. Article 4 of Amended Basic Law states that Islam is the official religion in Palestine, and that "The principles of Islamic Shari’a shall be the main Source of legislation."
Reference: Palestine Basic Law
6. B. Arab population of the West Bank and Gaza increased from about about 750,000 in 1967 to an estimated 3,700,000 in 2009.
Sources: CIA World Factbook; Demography of Palestine & Israel, the West Bank & Gaza
7. D. The Arab population of Israel increased from under 150,000 (15% of the overall population) in 1948 to about 1,420,000 (22% of the overall population) in 2009. Dource: Israel cbc.
8. A. All the Palestinian universities were founded since the Israeli occupation of 1967, under Israeli auspices, the oldest one being the Islamic University of Hebron, founded in 1971. References: See for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebron_University
9. B. All Palestinians were executed since September 1993 by the Palestinian Authority. According to Betselem, the Palestinian courts sentenced 89 people until 2010 but only executed 18. The other were murdered while in custody or escaped.
10. E. The incident occurred along the security fence in Morocco, separating sovereign Morocco from the Spanish Sahara.
Reference: Melilla Border Fence
April 3, 2011
This page copyright 2011. Please forward this quiz with the original URL and credit to the author. Feel free to adapt this material to your needs - but give credit to the original authors
External Zionism Links
This site provides resources about Zionism and Israeli history, including links to source documents. We are not responsible for the information content of these sites.
Friends and informative sites:
Labor Zionism - Early History and Critique<- Contribution of Labor Zionism to the creation of the Jewish state, and problems of Labor Zionism in a changing reality.La Bibliothèque Proche Orientale- Le Grand Mufti Husseini
ZioNation - Zionism-Israel Web Log Zionism & Israel News Israel: like this, as if History of Zionism Zionism FAQ Zionism Israel Center Maps of Israel Jew Israel Advocacy Zionism and its Impact Israel Christian Zionism Site Map