DSP Poll # 29: 77.2% Palestinian society not heading in the right direction; Support elections 47.1%:46%http://zionism-israel.com/israel_news/2006/12/dsp-poll-29-772-palestinian-society-not.html
Development Studies Programme - Berzeit University
Release Date: 26/12/2006
[For Background & Methodology - see below]
Section One : Living Conditions
1. How do you describe the current economic situation of your family?
Very good 2.7 Good 13.9 Fair 32.6 Bad 28.6 Very Bad 22.2
2. Are you optimistic or pessimistic?
Optimistic 42.1 In between 22.7 Pessimistic 34.6 I don't know 0.7
3. Do you believe that Palestinian society is heading in the right
Yes 16.7 No 77.2 I don't know 6.1
Section Two : Evaluation of President and Prime Minister
4. How do you evaluate the performance of President Mahmoud Abbas?
Good 30.7 Average 30 Poor 39.3
5. How do you evaluate the performance of Prime Minister Ismael Hanneya?
Good 41.4 Average 28.8 Poor 29.9
Section Three : The Current Events
6. Who do you believe is responsible for the failure to reach a unity
Hamas 16.5 Fateh 22.4 Both 53.7 Don't know 7.3
7. Who do you believe is responsible for the violent confrontations and
assassinations in the Palestinian Territories?
Hamas 16 Fateh 14.6 Both 49.5 Others 15 Don't know 4.9
8. Which of the following proposals is most appropriate to resolve the
A one-year transitional government comprised of professionals 9.9
A new presidential and legislative election 25.1
A government composed of all political parties based on the (National
Reconciliation Document ) 47.8
Keep the government as is 14.9
9. In his address (16/12/200, President Mahmoud Abbas called for
presidential and legislative elections as a means to go beyond the current
situation, do you support or oppose his call?
Support 47.1 Oppose 46 No opinion 6.9
10. If presidential elections took place in the coming future, would you
Yes 63.7 No 28.9 Undecided 7.4
11. If presidential elections took place in the coming future, which one of
the following personalities would you vote for?
Bassam Al Salhi 0.5 Khaled Meshal 3.2 Saeb Ireakat 2.3
Marwan Barghouthy 17.9 Ismael Hanneya 24.2 Mustafa Barghouthy 5.2
Mohammed Dahlan 6.9 Mahmoud Azzahar 0.7 Hanan Ashrawi 1.6
10) Mahmoud Al Ramahi 0.1 1 Ahmad Sadat 2.1 1 Mahmoud Abbas 18
1 Undecided 17.4
12. If only the following candidates ran for presidential elections, who
would you vote for?
Mahmoud Abbas 49.8
Khaled Meshal 31.8
13. If only the following candidates ran for presidential elections, who
would you vote for?
Mahmoud Abbas 47.2
Ismael Hanneya 39.3
14. If only the following candidates ran for presidential elections, who
would you vote for?
Marwan Barghouthy 51.3
Ismael Hanneya 36.1
15. If legislative elections took place in the coming future, would you
Yes 65.8 No 24.8 Undecided 9.4
16. If a new legislative election was carried out today, which bloc would
you vote for?
Al Badil 1 Independent Palestine 4.1 Martyr Abu Ali Mustafa 2.4 Martyr Abu
al Abbas 0.2
Freedom and Social Justice 0.7
Change and Reform (Hamas) 30.6
National Coalition for Justice and Democracy 0 The Third Way 1 Freedom and
Social Justice 0.9
17. If only the following lists ran for elections, who would you vote for?
A united list composed of PFLP, DFLP, PPP, Mubadara, Nidal and other
Number of field researchers: 75
Sample size: 1200 Palestinians in (West Bank and Gaza Strip)
Margin of error: + 3%
For further information or queries, contact team coordinator Dr. Nader Said
(059-9204527) or Polling coordinator Ayman Abdul Majeed at the listed
address or through our e-mail (email@example.com).
For the sample distribution, please refer to Annex (3), and for the full
methodology refer to our website ( http://home.birzeit.edu/dsp ).
Supported by the International Republican Institute (IRI)
Irsal Str. opposite Khalid Hospital
Tel : 970 (2) 2959250 970 (2) 2958116
Fax : 970(2) 2958117
P.O. Box 1878
IMRA - Independent Media Review and Analysis
Copyright - Original materials copyright (c) by the authors. Originally posted at http://zionism-israel.com/israel_news/2006/12/dsp-poll-29-772-palestinian-society-not.html. Please do link to these articles, quote from them and forward them by email to friends with this notice. Other uses require written permission of the author.