Israel without interference
Dr. Aaron Lerner Date: 22 December 2006
The following is the text of the "Proposal for Creating Suitable Conditions
for Ending the Conflict" as printed as an illustration in Yediot Ahronot
today of an article by Nachum Barnea regarding a draft proposal being
prepared by various research centers associated with the Swiss, UK and
Norwegian governments along with a team representing the Hamas Government
headed by Dr. Ahmad Yousef. According to Barnea, some changes have been made
since this draft but the changes are not of substance and it is not expected
that Hamas will accept the agreement.
Proposal for Creating Suitable Conditions for Ending the Conflict
1. Israeli withdrawal from the West Bank to an agreed temporary line.
2. Five year armistice/hudna, i.e. no Palestinian attacks in Israel or on
Israelis anywhere and no Israeli attacks on Palestinian territory or
3. No Israeli steps to change the status quo that existed in areas outside the territory under Israeli control on the 4th of June 1967 lines. No
houses to be built in settlements/no roads or any change of the landscape.
4. Free and unhindered access for Palestinians to East Jerusalem and the rest of the Israeli occupied West Bank.
5. Free and unhindered travel from Gaza to West Bank (and vice versa) as well as to Jordan and Egypt.
6. International supervision: any violations of points (1-5) is to be considered a violation of the armistice/hudna.
Barnea adds that in the body of the draft all "political" prisoners are to be released by Israel including all prisoners who engaged in terror
Barnea adds that under the draft. the Gaza Port would open as would airports in Gaza and the Atarot airport north of Jerusalem with security arrangements similar to those at Rafah. Barnea declines to explain that this means thatunder the arrangements at Rafah, the international observers ultimately have virtually no authority to stop either terrorists or contraband from crossing - it is up to the final discretion of the Palestinians.
Barnea also declines to note that the building freeze would mean no construction in Jewish neighborhoods in Jerusalem beyond the Green Line (e.g. French Hill, Ramat Eshkol, etc.).
Dr. Aaron Lerner, Director IMRA (Independent Media Review & Analysis)
(Mail POB 982 Kfar Sava)
Tel 972-9-7604719/Fax 972-3-7255730
INTERNET ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright - Original materials copyright (c) by the authors. Originally posted at http://zionism-israel.com/israel_news/2007/01/proposal-to-provide-palestinians-5.html. Please do link to these articles, quote from them and forward them by email to friends with this notice. Other uses require written permission of the author.