There are substantive differences between the Hebrew originaland the MAAN translation. Some of the main ones are given in this corrected translation. This is not a declaration of principles, but a MODEL for a declaration of principles. A document of this TYPE ["mehasug hazeh"] must be reached by the time of the international conference, but this is not the document.Here is a corrected translation of some of the major points:
Introduction: "The Israeli leadership and the PLO leadership must enter immediately a procedure (move) which once completed will lead to the establishment of two states - Israel and Palestine, to formulate a decument of principles and to reach understandings OF THE TYPE detailed below."
"1. Israel will end the occupation of the West Bank within an agreed period of time. The withdrawal and evacuation of settlements will be carried out gradually and in several stages. Each evacuated area will be turned over to the Palestinian Authority which will enforce law and order in it. The existence of a regime in Gaza that is willing to be part of the part process will make it possible to realize Israel's vision that Gaza and the West Bank form a single state unit."
A document that will be based on principles OF THE ABOVE TYPE must be concluded prior to the international meeting in November, exhibited during the course of it, and anchored in the international declarations that follow it.
Immediately after the international meeting, IN PARALLEL with negotiations on attaining a detailed agreement, Israel shall commence withdrawal of forces and evacuation of settlements from areas in the West Bank. The completion of the stages of evacuation shall be done in parallel with the completion of the negotiations.
The Maannews translation is below.
Date: 11 / 09 / 2007Bethlehem - Ma'an - Exclusive - Ma'an News Agency has received from an Israeli source exclusive copy, written in Hebrew, of the points which are being crystallized as a declaration of principles between Israel and the PLO before the autumn summit, expected to be held in November in Washington.
The following is an exact translation of the 1 page document:
"The Israeli leadership and the PLO leadership must immediately get involved in an operation which once completed will lead to the establishment of two states - Israel and Palestine. Relying on a basic declaration of principles and understandings as follows:
1. Israel to ends its occupation of the West Bank in a given period of time. Gradual withdrawal and evacuation of Israeli settlements. Each evacuated area will be turned over to the Palestinian Authority where law and order will prevail. And law and order will be established in Gaza as part of the process which will enable Israel to see the West Bank and the Gaza Strip as one political entity.
2. An unarmed Palestinian state within the 1967 borders. The specific details of the borders will be determined according to security needs, demographic developments and humanitarian requirements. This will pave the way to for an equal territorial exchange. Israel will keep some settlement blocs and maintain geographic contiguity in Palestine and horizons for economic prosperity.
3. There will be two capitals in Jerusalem, one for Israel and one for Palestine. The Israeli neighbourhoods will be under Israeli sovereignty and the Arab neighbourhoods under Palestinian sovereignty. There will be cooperation between both authorities which will allow for better administration of people's lives.
4. Special arrangements will be prepared to secure access to Holy places for all religions. A special administrative authority will be established to organise access of both people to Holy places in the Old City of Jerusalem.
5. Palestine to be declared a national homeland for the Palestinian people and Israel to be declared a national homeland for the Jewish people.
6. A just solution to be agreed on for the problem of the Palestinian refugees with recognition of their suffering and understanding of their individual right within the framework of a comprehensive solution.
7. Both sides to declare the end of conflict and endeavour to gain public support as much as possible and both sides to do their best to cooperate against any aspect of terrorism and violence from either of the two states against the other.
8. Both sides to consider this agreement as being in accordance with the principles of the peace initiative proposed by the Arab League. Both will call the Arab League to positive steps towards full implementation of that initiative. They will also call on the international community and the International Quartet to intervene and provide aid in different ways to push the agreement forward.
This declaration must be agreed on by both the Israeli and Palestinian sides before the US-sponsored autumn peace summit. It will then be proposed and documented as international resolutions, the statement read.
After the autumn peace summit reaches a detailed agreement Israeli will start to withdraw and start to evacuate settlements in the West Bank and complete the negotiation process and gradually implement what has been agreed, the statement added.
Copyright - Original materials copyright (c) by the authors. Originally posted at http://zionism-israel.com/israel_news/2007/09/israeli-palestinian-framework-agreement.html. Please do link to these articles, quote from them and forward them by email to friends with this notice. Other uses require written permission of the author.