A Fatah cell tried to carry out an attack on Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's convoy during his visit to Jericho on August 6, Shin Bet chief Yuval Diskin told cabinet members on Sunday.
According to Diskin, the attack was to be carried out on the convoy as it entered the West Bank city, en route to the prime minister's meeting with Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas.
Following the incident, Israel gave the PA intelligence information regarding the militants' identities, and several were arrested by the PA intelligence services. Several additional Fatah men were arrested by Israel during West Bank raids.
Nonetheless, the PA last week released those militants it had detained, despite the fact that, according to Diskin, they had admitted to planning the attack.
A senior political source in Jerusalem said Israel views the incident, and especially the fact that potential assailants were released, with utmost severity.
The source added that the Prime Minister's Bureau has submitted a harsh protest to Abbas' office, and Israel expects the PA to take action on the matter.
Copyright - Original materials copyright (c) by the authors. Originally posted at http://zionism-israel.com/israel_news/2007/10/palestinians-mahmoud-abbas-govt-release.html. Please do link to these articles, quote from them and forward them by email to friends with this notice. Other uses require written permission of the author.