Another view from the left
By Ted Belman
Shira Herzog talked to my social group tonight and I wanted to report what she had to say. Shira is the grand daughter of Chaim Herzog. She is exceptionally intelligent, knowledgeable and connected in Israel. She is a recognized pundit and journalist in Canada and Israel. She is also on the left.
1. The agenda for Annapolis kept changing and in the process got watered down almost to insignificance. It now heralds the beginning of negotiations only. [And here I thought that the parties had been negotiating for months.
4. For her, ending the occupation is a good thing. In addition Israel would get international recognition and would be able to trade with many Arab countries as a result. She said the Emirates are anxious to trade with Israel.
5. The Arabs can bluster all they like but she feels the end deal will be fence with exchanges of territory, demilitarization, and the division of Jerusalem. She is quite happy to have security in the hands of the international community.
6. About 60,000 Jews would have to be moved. [I fear the number would be much higher.]
7. The IDF is reluctant to tackle Gaza for fear of casualties.
8. She agrees with Olmert that the status quo for Israel cannot continue. No reasons were given. She also cited the so-called demographic problem and when I advised her of the new study, she was aware of it but rejected its findings. So for her there is no alternative.
9. The real significance of Annapolis was that the Arab Foreign Ministers were going to be in attendance even if they won't shake the hands of their Israeli counterparts.
10. Syria is the thing to watch and I agree.... A peace deal with Syria would involve a peace deal with Lebanon as well. But this is too much to hope for at this time I believe.
Source: (and full article) Israpundit
Copyright - Original materials copyright (c) by the authors. Originally posted at http://zionism-israel.com/israel_news/2007/11/view-of-annapolis-summit.html. Please do link to these articles, quote from them and forward them by email to friends with this notice. Other uses require written permission of the author.